This article was created in partnership with MAXOAK
The MAXOAK Bluetti AC50 is a 500 Wh (watt/hours) lithium portable power station, designed to power backup when there’s a power failure or when you are away from the grid. The compact size and relative lightweight make it perfect for both indoor and outdoor fun.
If there’s anything I’ve learned while living in Africa for three years is that you need electricity for basically everything. Why? Because we use it to power almost everything, and unfortunately in Angola, it is anything but stable. If there’s anything I would take to another adventure in Africa, it would be a great Power Station, particularly a light and mobile like the Maxoak Bluetti AC50. I surely wouldn’t be so miserable when the power went out for a couple of hours.
A mobile power station like the Maxoak Bluetti AC50 is also fundamental for those looking for adventure in remote destinations like camping in the wild, going to a mountain cabin, or traveling with an RV. We find it to be lightweight but durable and thus the answer for many adventure and independent travelers – let’s explore its features and specs!
Maxoak Bluetti AC50 Power Station Review
The 500 Wh lithium battery is able to charge lots of stuff. If you can’t figure how much 500Wh is, let us help a bit. With two 120V AC-Outlet using a Pure Sine-wave, it can charge a “few” times some small appliances (Max.300W):
- Average Smartphones – 36 Times,
- Laptops(45W) – up to 10 times;
- GoPro – 80 times;
- and Drones, Mini Projectors, Mini Car Fridge, and Others, depending on the size of the battery.
You can simply calculate it yourself; you just need to multiply 500Wh by 0,85 (as the battery is never completely emptied for better quality and duration) and divide by the size of the battery of your appliance. For example, the Lenovo ThinkPad I’m using has a 45Wh battery, which means it can be charged, a little above nine times. (500*0,85 = 425 Wh; 425/45=9.444).
Note that it is with one battery cycle, you can always recharge it, but we will talk about the recharging options below.
Size and weight
With 11.6 x 7.5 x 7.7 inches and 13.6lbs (6kg) and a foldable handle, it’s small, relatively light, and easy to handle if you think about all the power and options it brings. I mean, you can’t obviously take it one a hiking trip, or in your backpack, but for a van, SUV, or camping ground, it’s excellent!
Quality and durability
This is undeniably a quality product that will endure more life cycles than the competition. Typically this kind of power station has about 500 cycles, while this Maxoak has 1000+. That’s double! It’s also built with a battery management system that prevents it from overheating, overcharging, overpowering, and other advanced safety options.
The Bluetti AC50 is an auto-level 3C rated Li-ion battery cell; it has longer cycle time, low heat, higher discharge rate than other ordinary battery core.
How to charge the Bluetti AC50 power station?
There are three effortless charging options:
- AC (alternate current) charger – which simply means that you can charge it in a standard socket, at home, or wherever you can. It should take 6 to 7 hours to fully recharge using a wall outlet (with the included 90W AC adapter)
- Solar Panel – using MPPT charge mode, it takes about 4 to 5 hours to charge using an up to 120 Watts Solar Panel. Note that you can use a more powerful Solar panel, but it won’t charge faster. If it’s smaller, it will be slower. To be clear, the Solar Panel is not included in the package)
- Car Recharge – It can also be charged with the lighter of your car. If it’s a DC12V car, it will only charge up to 40-50%; if it’s a DC24V car, it can fully recharge the power station.
What can it charge?
This is another feature where the Bluetti AC50 really excels. With a total of 11 outputs (plus a LED lantern), this is truly an all-in-1 Power station with Multi-Output for various power needs.
Besides the 10W wireless charger on top, it has:
- Two AC 120V US outlets (pure sine-wave) – normal outlet, laptop, minifridge, camera, etc.;
- Two DC12V3A – inflator pump, let light, etc.;
- One DC12V9A Car Cigarette lighter – car vacuum cleaner, cooler;
- One PD 45W Type-C – iPhone, Ipad, Mac laptop, apple watch…;
- Four USB-A – smartphones, tablets, cameras, kindle…;
Other cool features
The Bluetti AC50 comes with a few exciting features and capabilities. We have already talked about the handy foldable handle and the design, making it stackable, easy to keep out of the way, and ultimately saving lots of space.
The wireless charger on top is also a winner feature, as it saves us the trouble of carrying cables for the appliances that allow wireless charging. although, what we really enjoy is the fact that we can use several outputs at a time, and also charge the power station while charging other products. This is extremely useful.
The power station also comes with a LED lantern that allows you to have a useful light when camping or outdoors. It’s a straightforward feature, but it comes very handy, lots of times.
Finally, the small Bluetti AC50 was built with a no-fan design, ensuring you can enjoy a silent night during charging. Silence is a priceless feature when camping or when you are sleeping in a van.
What do you get with the package?
When you buy this package from Maxoak it comes with:
- 1*MAXOAK BLUETTI Portable Power Station;
- 1*AC Adapter&Cable;
- 1*Cigarette Lighter Cable( Cigarette Port to DC7909 Connector Male);
- 1*MC4 Cable (MC4 Connector to DC 7909 male);
- 1*USB Type-C Cable;
- 1* Carry Bag;
- 1*User Manual
- 1*Service Card
- 500Wh/300W(Peak 450W);
- Auto-level Battery Cell with a life of 1000+ cycles;
- AC/Sola/Car recharge
- All in one Power station with multi-output;
- Size: 11.6 x 7.5 x 7.7 inches, with the advantage that the format makes it easily stackable.
- Weight: 13.2 pounds (6 kg);
- Wireless Charging Options;
- Multi-Output, with 11 outputs;
- Charge and Discharge (Pass-through) Function;
- LED lighting and lantern included;
- Noise-free, eco-friendly;
- 24-month warranty;